Thursday, July 3, 2008

Love-Hebrew Style

I've been thinking about raka, ahava and dode. It was and is believed by many that a successful marriage needed all of these, and I just wondered if there were any marriages out there that actually did. I don't want to be angst-y, but I haven't seen many marriages where friendship, commitment and desire were all combined. It just seems like something is always missing. At least it explains why affairs don't usually work, but they don't need to because they're affairs, so whoever is unfaithful doesn't really suffer any consequences. It's just unfair to the people who are willing to give everything they have suffer because the person they give everything to is a scoundrel. But I'm sure many don't view it that way. Life is expected to be lived with an excess of pleasure, and seeing as their are no real consequences (besides, say, someone's trust, affection and support, which apparently means nothing anyway), this happens more and more as we step into this age. There's no real point to what I'm saying, it just takes away any desire to trust in love, or marriage, or friends. I hate the way it works out, but I suppose since everyone is human, we can't trust each other.

No comments: