Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Identifying with Caroline Helstone

Any fan of Charlotte Bronte knows that Shirley is a novel not only about the character for which it is named, but also for Caroline, who, in unusually calm dispair, says the famous line "Half a century of existence may lie before me. How am I to occupy it?" Looking at the text surrounding this statement, I have grown to truly appreciate Caroline and her situation. This text is what follows Caroline's dispairing words:

"I have to live, perhaps, till seventy years. As far as I know, I have good health: half a century of existence may lie before me. How am I to occupy it? What am I to do to fill the intercal of time which spreads between me and the grave?"
She reflected.
"I shall not be married, it appears," she continued. "I suppose, as robert does not care for me, I shall never have a husband to love, nor little children to take care of. Till lately I had rechoned securely on the duties and affections of wife and mother to occupy my existence. I considered, somehow, as a matter of course, that I was growing up to the ordinary destiny, and never troubled myself to seek any other; but now, I perceive plainly, I may have been mistaken. Probably I shall be an old maid. I shall live to see Robert married to some one else, some rich lady: I shall never marry. What was I created for, I wonder? Where is my place in the world?"

Caroline is my favorite charater in this book, and I would love Robert Moore, if he would love her. I feel that many women today can identify with Caroline's predicament, and feel as though no one may comprehend their loneliness and pain. Yet, it was understood over 150 years ago by Miss Bronte! And what made me hopeful was when I learned that Charlotte Bronte was married within the last year of her life. Some may say this is horrible, having only one year being loved, then disappearing, but I take the opposite view: if a person lives in misery and discontent all their life, then finds happiness--wouldn't it be an all consuming joy which would suffice for their entire existence? To be loved at all, truly and simply, is a beautiful way to finish existence. Charlotte Bronte could have died with total and complete happiness in her heart--who could ask for more?

No comments: