Friday, April 4, 2008

Genius of William Goldman, Real Author of The Princess Bride

If anyone has seen the movie The Princess Bride, you understand this genius already, though possibly not fully. In the beginning of the movie, the grandfather says as he opens the book, "by S. Morgenstern. S. Morgenstern does not exist, or at least did not write the book. So the novel was in fact not abridged and the notes detailing the contents of the original novel (such as saying that there were 40 pages detailing the wedding decorations) are fictitious, and made up simply for Goldman's pleasure.

Favorite Princess Bride Quotes


“Mawwage is what bwings us togwether today....”

“This is true love... you think this happens everyday?”

“You've been chasing me your entire life, only to fail now. I think that's the worst thing I've ever heard; how marvelous.”

“Since the invention of the kiss, there have only been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.”

“" As you wish' of course what he really ment was, 'i love you'”

“I do not accept excuses. I'm just going to have to find myself a new giant, that's all.”

“Have fun storming the castle!”

“My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.”

“You seem a decent fellow, I'd hate to kill you. "
" seem a decent fellow, I'd hate to die.”

1: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me? 2: Well, you were dead 1: But death cannot stop true love...All it can do is delay it for a while.”

"Inconcievable!"

“It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.”

“I'll explain, and I'll be sure to use small words so that you'll be sure to understand. You wart-hog-faced-buffoon!”

“No more rhymes now - I mean it !"
"Anybody want a peanut?"

“1)If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope, or a tree branch, or find something useful to do. 2)I could do that. I have got some rope up here. But I do not think that you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you. 1)That does put a damper on our relationship.2)But, I promise that I will not kill you until you reach the top.1)that's very kind of you, but I'm aftaid you'll just have to wait.2) I hate wait."

“Is this a kissing book?”

“1)Who are you? 2)No one of consequence. 1)I must know. 2)Get used to disappointment.”

“Would you consider me as an alternative to suicide?”

"I'm not a witch; I'm your wife!"

“1: Surrender! 2: You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.”

“Am I going mad, or did the word 'think' just escape your lips?”

“You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?”

There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. 'Twould be a pity to damage yours.


Give us the gate key.
I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off.
Oh, you mean this gate key.

I want my father back you son-of-a-bitch

Fin!

No comments: