Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sweet and Uplifting Poem

Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes inthe sink, and let you teach me how to put thatpuzzle of yours together.

*Just for this afternoon, I will unplug thetelephone and keep the computer off, and sit withyou in the backyard and blow bubbles.

*Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, noteven a tiny grumble when you scream and whinefor the ice cream truck and I will buy you oneif he comes by.

*Just for this afternoon, I won't worry aboutwhat you are going to be when you grow up, orsecond guess every decision I have made whereyou are concerned.

*Just for this afternoon, I will let you help mebake cookies, and I won't stand over you tryingto fix them.

*Just for this afternoon, I will take us toMcDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal soyou can have both toys.

*Just for this evening, I will hold you in my armsand tell you a story about how you were bornand how much I love you.

*Just for this evening, I will let you splash in thetub and not get angry.

*Just for this evening, I will let you stay up latewhile we sit on the porch and count all the stars.

*Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside youfor hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.

*Just for this evening when I run my fingerthrough your hair as you pray, I will simply begrateful that GOD has given me the greatest giftever given.

*I will think about the mothers and fathers whoare searching for their missing children, themothers and fathers who are visiting theirchildren's graves instead of their bedrooms, andmothers and fathers who are in hospital roomswatching their children suffer senselessly, andscreaming inside that they can't handle itanymore.

*And when I kiss you good night I will hold youa little tighter, a little longer. It is then, that I willthank GOD for you, and ask Him for nothing,except one more day.

A boy I know, my age, ran away a while ago. He was found a little more than a month later at a mission or shelter, and the end of this poem reminded me of him.

No comments: