Monday, March 31, 2008

Genius of Jane Austen

Before my school year began, I promised myself that, among other authors, I was to read all of Jane Austen's novels. I had read Pride and Prejudice first, just as many other young women who had seen the movie with Kiera Knightly, but I wanted more. So I moved next to Sense and Sensibility. It was very well written, full of satire, but part of me felt it to be a watered-down version of Pride and Prejudice. However, as I did some research, I found that Sense and Sensibility took much from Jane's own personal experience.

So I moved on to Northanger Abbey, which became one of my favorite novels of all time. It was one of her earlier works, and the author's prescence was felt heavily, as was the satire. Catherine (the main character) is as naive and simple as myself, and I naturally took to her. I felt for her as she was opened to the world of caprice, to speak with Jane's cynicism. This is one I recommend highly.

Next, I moved on to Emma. She reminded my of my best friend in the way she behaved, and I took to this one as well, though not nearly as strongly. So I moved on to Mansfield Park. I felt the injustice of Fanny's life immensely, and found myself more than once shouting at Edmund for being such a blind prick, but all ends well in the end, of course. I wasn't sure about this one. I liked it, but it frustrated my immensely.

And lastly, I read Persuasion. It was my second favorite. Anne is the person that I would love to be: she is patient, selfless and observant. I started giggling uncontrollably when Frederick overheard her talking of how she never let go of him (although he was the only one who understood this, as it always is). I believe there was jumping up and down involved as well.

I have not read Sanditon, as I cannot find it in the bookstores near me. However, I will continue my search and comment later.

Speaking of comments, DO SO!

No comments: